Healthcare Environment Inspectorate (HEI)
The Healthcare Environment Inspectorate (HEI) carries out safety
and cleanliness inspections across NHSScotland hospitals and
Patients are at the heart of everything HEI does. Our work is
publicly accessible and measures the things that are important to
To find out
more about the work of the HEI, download our general information
Read our 2013-2014 HEI annual
report for detailed findings from our programme of inspections
to ensure your hospital is safe and clean.
Ensuring your hospital is safe and clean
Our focus is to reduce the Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI)
risk to patients through a rigorous inspection framework. Our
aims are to:
- provide public assurance and protection, to restore public
trust and confidence
- contribute to the prevention and control of HAI
- contribute to improvement in the healthcare environment
including infection control, cleanliness and hygiene and the
broader quality improvement agenda across NHSScotland.
Established in April 2009
The Scottish Government produced a 2008 consultation paper
‘Healthcare Associated Infections – Inspection, Assurance and
Public Confidence’. This paper planned for a new inspectorate based
in NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (now Healthcare
Improvement Scotland) to deliver its arrangements.
HEI’s function is to:
- give NHS boards a proactive, assertive way to self-assess and
- create a methodology for analysing NHS board evidence that can
validate, risk assess and identify targets for inspection
- carry out rigorous inspections, from NHS board level to
hospital level to ward/clinical level
- continuously monitor NHS board improvement plans
- make inspection findings public
- make recommendations to Scottish Ministers.
The HEI engages with a number of key stakeholders. Details of
these can be found in the stakeholder document.
The HEI team
The HEI team includes:
- Senior inspectors
- Public partners
With support from:
- Programme Manager
- Project Officers
- Administrative Officers
Get more information
- Lisa Birch, 0131 623 4725
Email our HEI
team for more information.