NICE (Multiple) Technology Appraisal Guidance No 151
1. NICE (Multiple) Technology Appraisal Guidance No 151
– Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for the
treatment of diabetes mellitus (review of technology appraisal
Web reference for appraisal and other related
NHSScotland should note that:
1. No important differences were identified for this NICE
appraisal and NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advises that the
recommendations are as valid for Scotland as for England and
2. Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion -
NHSScotland should take account of the NICE Appraisals and this NHS
Quality Improvement Scotland email in its planning, funding and
provision of services to ensure that recommended drugs or
treatments are made available to meet clinical need. National
contracts for these devices have been put in place with the
support of the clinical diabetology community. Further guidance for
NHS Boards to support implementation will be issued shortly on the
National Procurement and NHS QIS websites.
3. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advice represents the
evidence-based view of NHS Quality Improvement Scotland.
4. This advice does not override or replace the individual
responsibility of health professionals to make appropriate
decisions in the circumstances of their individual patients, in
consultation with the patient and/or guardian or carer.
5. Copies of the NICE appraisals can be downloaded from
http://www.nice.org.uk. Also on the website are tools (a costing
template and audit criteria) that NICE has developed to help
organisations to implement this appraisal. Finally, an easy to read
summary of the appraisal, called "understanding NICE guidance" is
published on the NICE website to provide information for patients
and the public.
6. Hard copies of the NICE appraisals are available from NHS
Quality Improvement Scotland (contact Shonagh Buchanan, tel 0141
225 6993 or email email@example.com) and all NICE appraisals
and NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advice are available on the
NHS Quality Improvement Scotland website (http://www.nhshealthquality.org/).
Published Date: 23 July 2008