NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance No 81 - Frequency of
application of topical corticosteroids for atopic eczema
The following NICE Guidance has been considered by NHS Quality
Improvement Scotland through its revised
procedure of processing of NICE Guidance
Nice Guidance - http://www.nice.org.uk/TA81
NHSScotland should note that:
1. No important differences were identified for this NICE
appraisals, and NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advises that they
are as valid for Scotland as for England and Wales (please see
further information below*).
2. NHSScotland should take account of this NICE appraisal in its
planning, funding and provision of services to ensure that
recommended drugs or treatments are made available to meet clinical
3. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advice represents the
evidence-based view of NHS Quality Improvement Scotland.
4. This advice does not override or replace the individual
responsibility of health professionals to make appropriate
decisions in the circumstances of their individual patients, in
consultation with the patient and/or guardian or carer.
5. No other publications on the NICE appraisals will be issued
by NHS Quality Improvement Scotland.
6. Copies of the NICE appraisals are attached for your
information. They include a section on "implications for the NHS"
which you may find helpful in assessing the likely impact of the
health technology locally. Additionally, an easy to read summary of
the guidance, called 'understanding NICE guidance" is published on
the NICE website to provide information for patients and the
7. While this email alert is distributed widely in NHSScotland,
I would appreciate if Medical Directors could forward this email to
relevant health professionals in their Board.
8. Hard copies of the NICE appraisals are available from NHS
Quality Improvement Scotland (contact Shonagh Buchanan, tel 0141
225 6993 or email@example.com) and all
NICE appraisals and NHS Quality Improvement Scotland advice are
available on the NHS Quality Improvement Scotland website (http://www.nhshealthquality.org/).
Published Date: 22 September 2004