Use this Tool well
- Your clinical judgement is key. Keep looking. Keep learning
- An assessment of the site of the lesion will often help you
- You are providing equality of care if you are particularly
alert to patients/clients with darker skin.
You can identify the cause of tissue
damage with the help of this tool.
A series of images and text to help
you to identify and grade the cause of tissue damage.
Key Principles of Assessing Skin Excoriation
- You should be able to recognise different types of tissue and
be able to differentiate between healthy tissue and damaged
- Identify if the lesion over a bony prominence
- The most common way to decide whether a lesion is due to
excoriation is to first of all make a visual assessment of the
- This assessment can be supplemented by using the skin
excoriation tool contained in this toolkit, and through discussions
NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (NHS QIS)
Share this content
Published Date: 13/03/2009